Monday, 13 October 2014

Day 310 - Gender roles, part 2


I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to react within anger when my housemate suggested that if my female friend were to move into my current house, that she would be able to cook nice meals and wash the dishes and keep the kitchen genuinely tidy - within this, I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to participate within the memory of anger reaction when I had lived with my mother/stepfather, and realising that my mother was the one who would always cook the meals and wash the dishes and keep the kitchen tidy.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to not see, realise and understand that this stereotype of women being 'good' in the kitchen is something in which we've all accepted and allowed to exist within society - within this, I see, realise and understand the stereotypical brainwashing that only women should be cooking meals/washing dishes/keeping the kitchen tidy.

When and as I see myself reacting within anger to someone suggesting that women should be cooking meals/washing dishes/cleaning the kitchen because of their gender exclusively, I stop and breathe. I realise that THAT is the stereotype in which we as humans have been brainwashed to believe is the ONLY way that things should be 'done'.

I commit myself to not react with anger to people suggesting women should be the one's to cook meals/wash dishes/clean the kitchen - and to instead focus upon my process, and seeing each individual as my equal - to see, realise and understand that no responsibilities are 'set in stone' - and that all individuals, regardless of gender, can come together to assist in particular scenarios, and all scenarios to become what is best for all life.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment