Thursday, 16 October 2014

Day 311 - Grammar alert


I was speaking to some random person online using a chat room sort of website, and as they were talking to me, I noticed that they didn't use capital letters, commas or full stops. 'they basically wrote like this' - anyway, that's cool. I'm not phased by that. Having said that, I did USED to be 'picky' in terms of the person I speak to online with me basing my talking to them on their grammar/lack of grammar - which I've written about/forgiven myself for.

Anyway, it got to a point where I was speaking to this person online (typing to them) and in the particular paragraph that I was writing to them, I had used about...5 commas. And, I 'wanted' to use a 6th comma....then I hesitated. I decided to NOT use the comma, out of the fear of being labelled a 'grammar Nazi'. That meaning, in terms of being 'obsessed' with grammar, and a 'control freak' in terms of wanting each letter to be accurate, using full stops, commas, capital letters. That is how I've been described before 'online' when using the whole 'grammar thing'. And, I know that's what people mean when they describe someone as a 'grammar Nazi'.

So, like I said, I've been called a 'grammar Nazi' before, and I participated within that memory as I was considering whether to type in this 6th comma within the paragraph that I was writing to another.

Self-forgiveness/commitment statements to come.

Side note: I was unsure of the difference between grammar and punctuation, ironic. After writing this, and researching the difference, now I know, lol.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment