Thursday, 13 November 2014

Day 328 - Electronic music for the elderly


A while ago I had just gotten onto the train and I sat down. A few moments later, I heard somebody listening to electronic music, like, dance music, that one would hear in clubs. I looked over to expect a 'young' person to be there, listening to this electronic music through his/her earphones - but I was shocked to see an elderly person, with rather large headphones, listening to this electronic music. I noticed a few others giving this elderly person some 'glares'. Basically glares of confusion, as I'm sure that they, as well as I, did not expect to see an elderly person listening to electronic music. Hell, I wouldn't even expect to normally see an elderly person on a train listening to any music with earphones/headphones, albeit, even knowing how to function an iPod/mp3 player/portable music playing device.

So, after my prior shock, I ended up realising it was cool. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. It was cool that the elderly person was listening to the music in which he liked to listen to. But of course, within myself, I'd be expecting him/an elderly person generally to be listening to something more along the lines of.....Mozart, perhaps. Or, the Beatles. But even within that, with the Beatles, you know...I like listening to the Beatles. That is interesting in itself as well. I think older folk would be surprised that I/'younger' people would enjoy listening to the Beatles. So - it's interesting how depending on what music that era came from, we have preconceived notions of what age group might/might not actually like/not like.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to react with shock when seeing that the person that was listening to the electronic music was in fact NOT a 'younger' person, but was in fact an elderly person.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to define electronic music as being ONLY listenable by 'younger' people, and within this, judging electronic music as 'off limits' to 'older' people.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to deem age group appropriate listening depending on what era the music was originally from, instead of seeing, realising and understanding that music holds no boundaries to whatever the age a person actually is.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to only expect something 'classic' like Mozart to be listened to be an elderly person.

When and as I see myself defining music from different eras to only certain specific demographics, I stop and breathe. I realise that music is universal and can thus be listened to be anyone of any age of any gender or race - with no boundaries whatsoever.

I commit myself to not judge anyone for listening to a specific type of music.

I commit myself to not judge an elderly person for listening to electronic music.

I commit myself to see, realise and understand that I'd not 'care' that a 'younger' person listened to 'older' music such as the Beatles, thus there's no reason for me to 'care' that an 'older' person listens to 'newer' music that is electronic.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment