Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Day 363 - Pink, a 'girl' colour


Learning from others' writings about their relationships to specific colours, I wanted to write again my relationship to colours, too.

So, what I've always thought in terms of choosing colours for a newborn baby, and whether it's a girl or boy - my thinking (and noticing/knowing) was that for a girl, a pink colour of clothing would be preferred. And for a boy, a blue colour of clothing. No doubt, that is what I've learn from seeing babies. I mean, obviously parents will dress their babies in all different colours, red, purple, green, but 'commonly' I've seen babies with either pink clothing to signify that they are female, or blue clothing to signify they are male.

And because of that common practice within blue/pink colouring, I still have this thinking pattern that pink = a girl's colour and blue = a boy's colour. But obviously those are not 'set in stone' colours. And it does NOT mean a boy cannot where pink clothing (or a man), and same goes for girls, it doesn't mean a girl can't wear blue clothing, and it doesn't mean a woman can't wear blue clothing. But yes...especially for babies, that's what I've seen/experienced.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to define the colour of pink as a 'girl's colour'.

I forgive myself that I've accepted and allowed myself to thus see it as 'abnormal' for a boy to wear pink.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself, through past experiences with colours and with colours of clothing that babies wear, only see outcomes from an extremely limited perspective of pink = girl and blue = boy.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to continue to participate within these past experiences whereas if I see a man wearing a pink shirt, I find it 'weird' and 'abnormal' because I continue to define the colour pink as 'meant' for females.
Within this, I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to define a male wearing a pink shirt as 'gay' - thinking that he must be gay, because he wears a pink shirt.

I forgive myself for accepting and allowing myself to define pink colours on a male as conclusive of him being gay.

When and as I see myself seeing it as abnormal for a male to wear pink clothing, I stop and breathe. I realise that only through past experiences, have I allowed myself to define myself within STRICT limitations of pink only being for females. I commit myself to see, realise and understand that pink is NOT limited to any gender/age/race - because no one person 'owns' a certain colour or should be 'expected' to wear a certain colour, that is LIMITATION.

When and as I see myself immediately jumping to the conclusion that a male that wears pink clothing must be gay, I stop and breathe. Again, I realise that because of past experiences in terms of tv viewing, billboards, advertising, I've come to see pink as a 'gay' colour that only gay men would actually wear. I commit myself to see, realise and understand that pink is UNIVERSAL, as are ALL colours - and I realise that no ONE colour defines a person, a person's sexual preferences, or a person in any way, shape or form.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment