Sunday, 20 December 2015

Day 535 - 'Sabotage'



Within games of pool that I've been playing with another, I've had some reactions about the way in which person A goes about playing the game of pool. Basically, person A plays in a way that sabotages the game the way I see it. Person A does this by playing the ball in a certain way which where the ball ends up landing on the table, there are obstructions via other balls on the table and/or the shot is made difficult for me on purpose by the play of Person A. This is purely so that Person A can win the game as a whole.

Because if I were to for instance have a clear shot at getting my balls into the pockets on the table, well...I'd most likely end up being the one who wins the game. So, I've been calling this procedure 'sabotage'. But when it comes down to it, the act of winning, which is the main want of people generally, then it's a smart move. It's tactical..it is strategy. What I found interesting though is...well, playing pool with Person A here, I mean, it's not a 'professional' competition at all, it's well..from how I see it, it's just a casual game of pool.

Now that I say that, of course Person A may see the game differently. I mean, it's still not a 'professional' competition-type of pool game, but Person A obviously wants to win the match..whatever the cost. I want to win the match too, but seeing how each one of us plays, I'm moreso there for the enjoyment factor. Winning is genuinely not so high up on my 'to do' list lol. Having said this, in the past, I'd do anything to win, so I'd MORE than likely resort to the ways in which Person A plays pool.

Now though, and at least in these circumstances of it being a casual pool game with nothing to gain/win in forms of medals..I just want to have fun/enjoy the game of pool. This writing has helped me bring the situation to light. Person A and I have DIFFERENT starting points to our games of pool, that is evident. I see within myself what I reacted to was Person A favouring a win over enjoyment. I see that if Person A and I BOTH played within and as the starting point of enjoyment as PRIORITY, that I myself would have more fun/enjoy the games of pool more.

It was interesting, last night I did bring up this point, I asked Person A "Do they sabotage the game when professionally playing pool?" Person A was unsure, as was I lol. I didn't think professional pool players would. Then I said "I prefer to go for my shots/take risks." And Person A went quiet. It was interesting though because Person A then went for their shots moreso and avoided 'sabotaging' the game from then on as I saw it.

So, is it really 'sabotage' if Person A/or I for that matter, set up shots that strictly DO NOT favour my opponent? No it's not. I mean, if it's 'allowed' within and as the rules of pool, then why not? And then if one wants to win, then why not, in fact, it may be a NEED to set up shots that strictly DO NOT favour an opponent, simple as that.

Different starting points, that is what it is.
So in terms of 'enjoyment' at hand, and me believing that if Person A plays a certain way, that I will moreso enjoy the game at hand, it's irrelevant, as I can't 'change' how Person A plays (even though I did within speaking to Person A, but that was incorrect word usage on my behalf, I shouldn't have used the word 'sabotage' and that was most likely the reason Person A then changed their playing ways) but I can't directly change how Person A plays pool. I can be an example though. But nonetheless, I create my own enjoyment at all times. And what I can do is if Person A plays within the 'creating difficult shots for me' way lol, then I can do the same back, obviously not in a way of 'revenge' - just as a way of capitalising on the game at hand and equalling the scenario, I already see that it'd be more enjoyable if I do this, it may not necessarily be what I personally find as the 'best' way to play pool, but I am working within the surroundings of another here.

And as I said, I can 'equal' the situation, as well as still be an example of 'taking risks' and/or going for my shots, I can do both.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to react to Person A 'sabotaging' the game of pool as I believed Person A's actions to be.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that Person A's way of playing pool was 'lessening' my enjoyment of Pool within and as the way in which Person A played the game.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that if one's main priority is to WIN, then enjoyment automatically 'goes out the door' and/or lessens dramatically as the starting point is only of winning as opposed to 'enjoying'.

I forgive myself that I have not accepted and allowed myself to see, realise and understand that winning/wanting to win and enjoyment CAN go hand in hand, IF I alter my own ways of playing somewhat to 'suit' what is transpiring within what is happening via another's actions/the state of play at hand.

I forgive myself that I have not accepted and allowed myself to 'equalise' the game of pool at hand within and as Person A's actions by doing likewise somewhat so that I can 'reply' to the tactical/strategic movements by Person A and so create a more ENJOYABLE game of pool for all involved dependent on each one's actions at the time.

When and as I see myself desiring to blame another for my lack of enjoyment/lessened enjoyment whilst another and I are both doing something together, I stop and breathe. I realise that I always create my own self-enjoyment and thus it does not 'depend' on another's ways of doing something. Within this I realise that it's up to me to identify what is happening so that I can make the situation more enjoyable for myself and possibly that of another by changing my own ways as a 'reply' for instance of what another is doing.

I commit myself to be flexible as 'enjoyment' by not ONLY doing what it is that I myself see as enjoyable from purely MY OWN starting point of seeing things - I commit myself to see and recognise all's starting points of things so that I can see why they are doing what they're doing/how they're doing it, and then actually combine both worlds by doing what it is that I see fit within enjoyment, and also what another is doing within what they see fit as enjoyment and/or winning for instance, so that I can then increase my own self-enjoyment of something and possibly the self-enjoyment of another.

So I commit myself to act in the PRESENT by identifying what is happening at any given time and changing my ways at any given time dependent on who/what is involved as to give myself/another the most enjoyable experience possible, as opposed to seeing a situation as a 'drag' and 'boring' within my mind.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment