Thursday, 7 January 2016

Day 540 - Changing lanes


A basic and fundamental part of driving is changing lanes. But it is something I struggle with. I mean, not the act itself, but the fears of doing so. Basically, the line of thought that appears within my mind when I want to change lanes and there are quite a few people driving cars in the lane that I want to go into is "Will they let me in?". And 9 times out of 10 I end up answering that question myself within my mind of "NO THEY WILL NOT LET ME IN!".

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that other road users will not allow me to change lanes and/or they will do their utmost to prevent me from going into the lane that they are using.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to stay in the same lane that I am driving in, because I am too fearful to change lanes.

Within this, I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to 'take the long route' because of my fear of changing lanes, and so being STUCK in one lane, have to do a u-turn or the like to reach my destination.

Within this, I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that all road users are self-interested/angry people who care for no other road users but themselves.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to see myself whilst in my car driving as 'less than' others who are in their cars driving/other vehicles and such whilst driving.

I forgive myself that I have not accepted and allowed myself to realise that all road users are equal.

When and as I see myself fearing to change lanes, I stop and breathe. I realise that I am equal to all others and so all others whilst they are driving/in their vehicles and such. I realise that people are not all self-interested and within this, non-caring for other road user-type of people. I commit myself to drive in the lane of my choosing/what I want/need to to reach my destination. I commit myself to indicate to whatever lane I want/need to go into for WHATEVER reason, and to look in my mirrors and make sure the coast is clear and to move into that lane.

I realise that I must initiate the indication in the first place for other road users to even know that I want to move into that/another lane.

When and as I see myself requiring to go into another lane and a road user/multiple road users do not allow me into that lane and then I participate within and as panic because I am struggling to get into that lane, I stop and breathe. I realise that I cannot rely on other road users to give way to me/allow me into that lane, and so I commit myself to breathe in the moment and to be patient whilst a car/cars drive in that lane that I want to go in, and continue being patient until I find the 'right' moment to move into that lane and/or a road user decides to allow me into that lane.

I commit myself to practice lane-changing when I can so that I can get a feel for it and see the finer details of lane-changing, things like how long it takes, how much space is needed and so on.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment