Saturday, 16 January 2016

Day 542 - Pitying smiles/looking away


The other day I walked past an elderly individual who was using a walking frame. As I walked past him, I pretended to look at something else - I did this because I felt pity towards this individual and his 'predicament'. So I pretended to look at this fruit at a fruit shop, just so I didn't have to look him in the eye lol.

So, there is that, and there's also been times where I've just put on a pitying smile. If I had to translate this pitying smile, it would say "Sorry that you're in that position." an unfortunate smile. In both cases, I've created separation by seeing individuals with certain needs/requirements as 'unfortunate'. I don't know their story though. Hey, maybe they were in fact FORTUNATE, it could have been worse for instance. Either way though, you know..if I was in a similar position, if I required a wheelchair/crutches, I wouldn't want/desire pitying smiles. I'd want to be treated exactly the same as anyone else. My predicament may be a bump in the road/my life, but it's nothing more than that, and it doesn't require apologetic faces/pitying smiles/looking away.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to give pitying smiles/apologetic faces and/or look away when I walk past an individual who is in somewhat of a predicament as a means of saying 'sorry' to them, which only creates separation.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to treat one with a 'condition' and/or 'predicament' as 'not like me' and/or 'not like others'.

When and as I see myself desiring to put on a pitying smile/apologetic face/look away when in the vicinity/walking past an individual who is in a predicament/has a condition, I stop and breathe. I realise that no matter the predicament/condition, we are the definition of life - and that is all. I commit myself to walk past and/or look at people in predicaments/with conditions with my 'regular' face, just as I would walk past/look at any individual/ANY form of life.

I commit myself not to allow a predicament/condition to define a life.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment